Your Trusted Neighbor for Almost 75 Years
The Aurora State Airport was built in 1943 by the United States Air Force as an auxiliary base to support the war effort during World War 2. The airport was used for many purposes including patrolling the coast and the flight training of pilots. Shortly after the war, the airport was closed and turned over to the state of Oregon.
The runway was established in 1943 as well and was designed to military standards of that era, since World War II was still in process. Thus, it is the original gravel base and pavement was designed so that the runway could accommodate large bombers and cargo aircraft, if needed in the future.
As the area around the airport began to develop and populate over time, the airport usage and traffic began to increase as well.
For nearly a century, the airport has been a trusted neighbor to the communities it serves. As Oregon’s third busiest airport, and one of only 84 general aviation airports identified by the Federal Aviation Administration as nationally significant, the airport has strived to help families and communities thrive and remain safe for almost 75 years.